[okfn-help] Spam - captcha to the rescue?

elf Pavlik perpetual-tripper at wwelves.org
Tue Jul 19 20:45:59 UTC 2011

Excerpts from elf Pavlik's message of 2011-07-19 21:44:03 +0200:
> Hi,
>
> I keep hearing about someone working on deleting 'spam users'. How about starting using captchas? We can start with on on registration first to prevent bots from registering, if we still get spam we can put captcha on few first comments for a user account etc.
>
> Anyone have more experience with some captcha strategies?
> This link may come useful:
> http://wordpressapi.com/2010/03/27/captcha-code-wordpress-registration/
>
> =)
> elf Pavlik

Ok I should have investigate our current setup more BEFORE posting =)
We have SI Captcha installed, but not active on comments... Do we have problem with spam on comments or just crating accounts?
Another interesting resource on this topic:
http://www.wpmods.com/stop-wordpress-registration-spam/

Got to go to sleep, appologies for spaming this list now ;)