[okfn-help] Spam - captcha to the rescue?

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Wed Jul 20 13:12:10 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 9:45 PM, elf Pavlik
<perpetual-tripper at wwelves.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from elf Pavlik's message of 2011-07-19 21:44:03 +0200:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I keep hearing about someone working on deleting 'spam users'. How about starting using captchas? We can start with on on registration first to prevent bots from registering, if we still get spam we can put captcha on few first comments for a user account etc.
>>
>> Anyone have more experience with some captcha strategies?
>> This link may come useful:
>> http://wordpressapi.com/2010/03/27/captcha-code-wordpress-registration/
>>
>> =)
>> elf Pavlik
>>

> Ok I should have investigate our current setup more BEFORE posting =)
> We have SI Captcha installed, but not active on comments... Do we have problem with spam on comments or just crating accounts?
> Another interesting resource on this topic:
> http://www.wpmods.com/stop-wordpress-registration-spam/

We get a small amount of spam through comments, but that is
manageable. Another volunteer, Trio, is hopefully going to come on
board soon and deal with the moderation requests.

If anyone feels like helping out with sharing this task until Trio
gets back, and so he can alternate being on and off duty - just shout!

Lucy