[okfn-help] Setting up / editing the OKF Handbook on a site like OpenDataManual.org?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Mon Jun 20 11:24:30 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> Why do we need something prettier for
> our handbook?

Because I'd like to suggest that this is not just for internal use,
but for *anyone* who wants to find out how to 'use' the OKF to do
something. E.g. set up a working group, join a working group, start a
project, get hosting, run an event, etc, etc. Hence needs to be
simple, visually appealing and easy to use.

For me this is a *big* part of making the OKF easier to use, easier to
understand, and to help more people get involved - and gradually to
make the whole thing less dependent on a few people in the middle
(like you and me!).

Currently with wiki:

  * problems with spam
  * its a bit confusing
  * hard to navigate
  * want something really simple

With a WP blog:

  * subdomain - handbook.okfn.org
  * only a few people need to be able to edit anyway - and
increasingly easy as people sign up on okfn.org to give people
edit/admin privileges
  * highly customisable, easier to give a simple visual identity (e.g.
logo, menu that reflects content of manual rather than taking people
off to other things they don't need to see...)

I guess if we can address some of problems above with wiki - then we
could try doing it on wiki in first instance and migrate to blog
if/as/when necessary?

J.

--
Jonathan Gray