[Okfn-irl] [Thursday, 24th October] ODI Meetup #10 'The Way forward for Open Data in Ireland'

Ciaran Staunton Ciaran.Staunton at fingalcoco.ie
Mon Oct 21 14:12:48 UTC 2013

Stay open to all possibilities! Let's go one further: if we are all truly advocates for open data it could be expected of us to assess the probable cause of unopened data on a case by case basis, and to start doing that we need to know the probable causes. Ton Zilstra more or less advised us of this and challenged us to try to help overcome the probable cause at Open Data IRL meetup 2!

Government agencies generally don't wish to open data because the understanding built up over several years erred on the side of not sharing. Let's all remember that some privacy rights focussed interests have a dog in the race, and are very willing to suggest any disclosures of Government data are in themselves a diminution of individual rights. And as we know Government Data is often derived from interactions with the Citizen. There is much more awareness raising needed within Government, and as far as I can see we have only begun to do that.

To suggest one other cause #opendatairl you will remember the talk by Roisín Doherty of the HSE at Open Data Irl meetup 7. She explained that there are a litany of issues from the ontology of recording to the technology of storing data, which mean that there can be no quick results from systems that have inherited legacies and so on. This is not always a concern for secrecy, often just a concern of misinterpretation.

Ciarán Staunton | Administrative Officer | ENVIRONMENT, BUSINESS & ENTERPRISE DEPARTMENT | Fingal County Council | County Hall | Swords |  Email: ciaran.staunton at fingalcoco.ie <mailto:r at fingalcoco.ie>  | 8905399 | Web: www.fingalcoco.ie <http://www.fingalcoco.ie/>   | @fingal_data_hub on twitter | Fingal Data on Pinterest |