[Okfn-irl] January meetup, Cork City, Open Education... Happy 2014!

Denis Parfenov denis.parfenov at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 14:42:01 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Tomorrow, on Thursday (6:30pm 23rd January 2014) Open Data Ireland, with
support of Open Knowledge Foundation - Ireland <http://irl.okfn.org> and Department
of Computer Science, UCC, <http://www.ucc.ie/en/compsci/> will be running
our 12th community meet-up <https://ti.to/open-data-ireland/meetup-12> at
the University College Cork. As many of you know, our community organised
meet-ups bring together people who are passionate about sharing, learning,
using and progressing Open Data in Ireland.

[image: Open_Data_Ireland_Banner]<http://education.okfn.org/files/2014/01/Open_Data_Ireland_Banner.jpg>

This particular meetup will focus on open education and involve preparation
for a booksprint to take place on International Open Day Hackathon<http://opendataday.org>,
Saturday, 22nd February<https://ti.to/open-data-ireland/international-open-data-day-in-ireland---feb-22nd>,
which we are co-organising with 'Code for Ireland'.  Booksprint will be one
of the projects you can contribute to on the day. The topic of the book has
yet to be decided but is likely to a resource specifically aimed at
children and for use by educators to aid teaching of computing. It is
anticipated that this resource will be passed on to all teachers in Ireland
to support the current curriculum.

Speakers in the room, tomorrow, Thurs 23d January (*1.07, Western Gateway
Building, UCC, Cork, Ireland*):

   - Denis Parfenov <https://twitter.com/prfnv> - OKF Ireland
   - Darius Whelan <https://twitter.com/dariuswirl> - Creative Commons
   Ireland

Through the powers of technology (G+), virtual speakers include:
<https://twitter.com/JoonasD6>

   - Joonas Mäkinen <https://twitter.com/JoonasD6> - science and culture
   enthusiast and human rights activist
   - Marieke Guy <https://twitter.com/mariekeguy> - OKF Open Education
   Working Group

*Topics include:*

   - Open Educational Resources, teaching, learning, and research materials
   in any medium that reside in the public domain.
   - Booksprint: Guidebook for Computing (Primary) and Computer Science
   (Secondary) Handbook
   - Continuing Booksprint on the Open Knowledge Foundation Open Education
   Handbook
   - Overview of a group of Finnish teachers authored an open maths
   textbook in a weekend <https://creativecommons.org/tag/finland>
   - Updating opendata.ie and Ireland’s Open Data repository CKAN (
   Data.OpenData.ie)
   - Junior Cert reform and opportunities for Booksprint deliverables can
   get NCCA approval and reform Ireland’s secondary education system.

If you are interested in attending the meet-up you can register on the meetup
page <https://ti.to/open-data-ireland/meetup-12>. See you there!

Best regards,

Denis

Denis Parfenov // OKF Ambassador for Ireland // m: +353863850044 // @prfnv<https://twitter.com/prfnv>
[.org <http://prfnv.org/>] // @okfIRL <https://twitter.com/OKFirl> [.org<http://okfirl.org>
]
The Open Knowledge Foundation Empowering through Open Knowledge
http://okfn.org/