[okfn-dev] Design question for SNA tool "grano"

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Mon Jan 23 10:41:26 UTC 2012

Hey Tom,

thanks for the feedback, I think you're right about per-Network
partitioning. Rufus and I also did some use case work for a potential
merged version of this and HyperNotes yesterday,
http://rgrp.okfnpad.org/dataweaver - (I think it should be called
databeaver but hey...)

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 1:09 AM, Tom Rees <zephod at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds like you want to go with per-network schemas. I can see why, I can
> only imagine a global schema being highly general and unstructured, full of
> data blobs which can't really be queried...

Yeah plus I think defining the schema in some easy-to-do way may
actually be a large part of the application, whether we like it or not
(I don't).

> I think to make sense of this I'd need to understand:
> * How global is global? Do you intend every user to fire up their own
> instance or will we run one central point (something like FluidInfo?)

No, I'm hoping this may become something like an appliance that can be
installed at will, but there may also be a public instance somewhere
(stealing from Pandas here, who are basically going to distribute AMIs
for their newsroom app).

> * Can you describe a concrete use case?

See above :)

> I guess a global schema is a huge advantage if you're going to be querying
> multiple graphs or between graphs. Doesn't look like that's something people
> would do though.

They may, but then we'll fix this problem (there's always solr to
stuff things into, hoping they will come out ok).

- Friedrich