[okfn-labs] Netiquette Guidelines (was Data Package (datapackage.json) validator improvements)

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Aug 26 17:05:25 UTC 2014

Hey All,

Just wanted to say that:

A. Big +1 to Tom that we do indeed want this to be a friendly place
especially for newcomers - this is a place where people shouldn't feel
hesitant about posting something, making a comment etc (if we start to have
an issue with off-topic or inappropriate stuff we could look into it).

B. Obviously if things got out of hand on "me-too" responses (or, god
forbid, auto-responders) we would take steps and so appreciate stef
highlighting the rfc. However, at present I think we are a way from that -
and I should add that Alioune has been a value contributor to the list and
community - please keep the comments coming Alioune!

and hence being a bit liberal - and if we start to have problems we can
revisit :-)

Rufus

On 26 August 2014 16:28, stef <s at ctrlc.hu> wrote:

> howdy,
>
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 10:48:52AM -0400, Tom Morris wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Thomas Levine <_ at thomaslevine.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > My interpretation was that he was publicly chiding Alioune, not for
> > excessive quoting, for sending a message which, he felt, was
> inappropriate
>
> the initial mail contained a multiple violations of the recommendations in
> rfc1855.
>
> > to send to the entire list -- in the process, violating the very same
> > guideline that we was attempting to enforce.
>
> actually i was hesitating whether to send it in private or not. the general
> lack of understanding of general online behaviour however prompted me to
> send
> a public reply. we are all suffering from email overload, with simple
> actions
> we can reduce that.
>
> > I thought it was kind of obnoxious myself and would hope that the
> okfn-labs
> > list would be a friendlier place than that.
>
> sorry if someone took my low-snr style as inappropriate.
>
> cheers,s
>
> --
> otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock
<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> - see
how data can change the world**http://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn
<http://twitter.com/OKFN> | Open Knowledge on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>*

The Open Knowledge Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation.  It is
incorporated in England & Wales as a company limited by guarantee, with
company number 05133759.  VAT Registration № GB 984404989. Registered
office address: Open Knowledge Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre,
Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS, UK.