[okfn-labs] Two new posts last month: Bubbles the Python ETL Framework and DataCentral a static frontend for data package collections

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Oct 6 09:52:58 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I just wanted to highlight two great new posts on the blog that I realize
did not get flagged to the list:

*Bubbles: Python ETL Framework (prototype)* by *Stefan Urbanek*

http://okfnlabs.org/blog/2014/09/01/bubbles-python-etl.html

*The abbreviation ETL stands for extract, transform and load. What is it
good for? For everything between data sources and fancy visualisations. In
the data warehouse the data will spend most of the time going through some
kind of ETL, before they reach their final state. ETL is mostly automated,
reproducible and should be designed in a way that it is not difficult to
track how the data move around the data processing pipes.*

*Data warehouse stands and falls on ETLs.*

*Bubbles is, or rather is meant to be, a framework for ETL written in
Python, but not necessarily meant to be used from Python only. Bubbles is
meant to be based rather on metadata describing the data processing
pipeline (ETL) instead of script based description. The principles of the
framework can be summarized as: ....*

*Data Central: a static frontend for data package collections *by *Ricardo
Lafuente*

http://okfnlabs.org/blog/2014/08/19/datacentral.html

*This post explains our issues at the Portuguese open data front when it
comes to providing bulk datasets in standard and easy-to-parse ways. It
also introduces Data Central, our tentative solution to those issues: a
Python tool to generate static web frontends for your data packages.*

Regards,

Rufus