[OKFN-NP] Preliminary Agenda for Nepal 3 day OGD workshop

Bibhusan Bista bibhusan at yipl.com.np
Thu Jul 30 05:58:21 UTC 2015

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for sharing the workshop agenda with me. It looks really great to
me. I have some generic feedbcak/queries/comments as below.

1. What are the kind of participants we are looking at (eg. is it only for
gov officials or is it also open for larger CSO and Open Data communities,
including techhies ?)
2. What is number of participants we are aiming for (this is important
because based on the number certain approach might / might not work)
3. I see tha NIC is your government counterpart for this workshop. In this
context, do you see the relevance of involving other government agenceis as
well (eg. National Planning Commission, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of
federal affairs and local development, etc.). Also, what about
parliamentarians ?
4. Since most of the gov and CSO participants will be pretty naive to the
entire discourse of Open Data, it might be good to have some time
explaining the basic concepts right at the begining (eg. the difference
between Open Data and Open Government Data)
5. I can see that you have provisions for different sectoral groups (pvt
sector, gov, etc. ) speak about opportunities and challenges in different
panel discussions. However, I think it would be very contextual if there
was an opportunity to share open data journey in Nepal so far in some
plenary session itself. This would then help people see how the workshop
actually relates to initiatives that are or have happened in Nepal.
6. I can see that the workshop is aimed at helping NIC come up with OGD
action plan at the end. For this to happen, there needs to be a lot of
preparatory consultation  done with NIC. Also, OGD action plan might not
make sense if we do not have ownership from key government agencies (eg.
educaiton, agriculture, finance, health, statistics bureau) who hold vital
government data. So, my opinion is that they need to be constructively
engaged during the workshop.
7. You've mentioned AGENCY in the agenda. Can you shed more light on who
this agency is ?

I don't know if these make sense to you or not but these are based on my
individual observation and experience. I'm happy to discuss more on it if
that is helpful.

Best,
Bibhusan

--
*Bibhusan Bista*
CEO
E: info at yipl.com.np
Skype: bibhusan
Twitter: @BibhusanBista
*DISCLAIMER*
This email contains confidential information and is intended only for the
delete this e-mail from your system.