[okfn-za] Open Data Hackathon this weekend

Adi Eyal adi at burgercom.co.za
Tue Jul 31 20:39:21 UTC 2012

Hi Rufus

On 31 July 2012 16:55, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> Dear Adi,
>
> I'm really excited to see this happening :-)

We're excited too - I'm not sure how it's going to pan out but we've
received tons of expressions of interest - the invitation has been
forwarded outside of the circle of organisers and I've received emails
from random mailing lists asking if their interest groups were
welcome. From the comments we've received, it feels like the time is
ripe for open data in South Africa.

> If there is any way to
> join in remotely (e.g. via irc) please ping around the info.

We're going to be streaming the event live - there will be talks on
Friday night and a couple of informal workshops for people who aren't
actively working on problems on Saturday and Sunday Sunday. We'll be
tweeting the event as well - I'm not sure of the hashtag - I'll ask
our comms guy to post it on the website.

does this work? http://codingfordemocracy.org/announcements/

> Lastly, I couldn't help but notice that this site is running CKAN:

what else? It's got everything going for it - written in python, open
source, hosted on github and has a couple of cool real world
installations to aspire to :)