[okfn-za] [HacksHackers Cape Town] Restrictive licences on government websites

Paul Murphy paul.murphy.ptm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 04:37:29 UTC 2013

I think this is where the advocacy element of ODADI (and others) comes to
the fore.
And we should recognise that we have a long journey to convince the powers
that be that OpenData is a good thing and the way to go, particularly in
the current climate of the secrecy bill.
So whilst I can be convinced about OpenData relatively easily and change my
behavior accordingly, getting change to happen in the public sector will
take time.

I am reminded of the UNDP Workshop on Open Data that I attended last year.
http://unpan.org/Events/BrowseEventsbyCalendar/tabid/94/mctl/EventDetails/ModuleID/1532/ItemID/2228/language/en-US/Default.aspx?selecteddate=10/10/2012
and I attach the Canadian presentation which I found the most enlightening
and perhaps represents a version of a future that we can aim for in South
Africa.
(Brazil were also good but their presentation is a lot bigger - 7mb - so I
didn't want to attach)

I agree with Sandi that rather than going the legal route we need to
constantly spread the OpenData message
- South Africa is meant to be a participatory democracy - Open Data
promotes that
- OpenData creates job opportunities
- showcasing examples of what has been done with Open Data - ideally South
African examples
- other

Paul