[okfn-za] Open Data on CO2 Emissions (Adi Eyal)

Justin Arenstein justinarenstein at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 09:31:18 UTC 2013

Martin,

I dunno what else OKFN-ZA is working on, but the Hacks/Hackers community
across Africa (13 chapters in 12 countries) is about to launch a major data
project into the extractive industries: oil, gas, mining, forestry,
fisheries, water rights, etc.

We've partnered with cool tools like Poderopedia.org, DocumentCloud.org,
http://landportal.info/landmatrix, etc, plus with Hacks/Hackers chapters in
Latin America, to start unravelling the secret networks that control
Africa's natural resources. The 15 newsrooms that form part of the new
African Network of Centers for Investigative Reporting (ANCIR) will use the
resulting intel to shine a media spotlight on issues, while social justice
networks (in ZA this includes CorruptionWatch, etc) will help drive citizen
issues.

Journalists (& coders) only skate across the surface of complex issues like
extractives though, so we're really keen to rope in industry experts to
help us understand the data + the networks.

Cheers,
Justin

Justin Arenstein*
*
SA Mobile: +27.82.374.0812
US Mobile: +1.650.336.5878
Skype: JustinArenstein
Twitter: JustinArenstein <http://twitter.com/justinarenstein>
Web: http://www.linkedin.com/in/JustinArenstein

*PGP Key Fingerprint: **8B19 3C53 2B40 453B F48D 9D7A 7346 A3AE DB88 30CD*
*Do you want to email me confidentially? See: **http://bit.ly/VLJt1N*
*
*
*