[okfn-za] The marketing case for open government data

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu May 23 13:33:52 UTC 2013

Hi Nimi,

This sounds really good. To your specific questions:

1. On why do open data, we've distilled some of the key why's down to 3
short items here: http://okfn.org/opendata/

There's also more material in http://opendatahandbook.org/. You also
usually need to deal with a bunch of objections (this will be costly,
no-one will want it, how can we trust people with our data etc) and it is
worth pre-prepping some responses to common ones :-)

2. What orgs celebrate these initiatives: the Open Knowledge Foundation is
one! We have consistently reported on successes and important initiatives
through our news blog at http://blog.okfn.org/ which is internationally
read (you can submit stories to the blog via emailing blog at okfn.org). We
have also connected significant stories with other channels and main stream
media (major newspapers etc).

Rufus

On 23 May 2013 07:59, Nimi Hoffmann <Nimi.Hoffmann at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm currently doing a short work stint with a government entity, and
> there's the possibility that we could encourage them to make their data
> (more) open.
>
> To this end, I want to make a strong marketing case to them. Any thoughts
> on how to do so?
>
> I've got the following in mind:
>
> 1. Open data allows them to create performance indicators along a variety
> of dimensions (financial, social, environmental etc.). This allows them to
> benchmark themselves against their own performance and that of other
> organisations.
> 2. This is a  a strong differentiator - not many organisations provide
> open data
> 3. It will improve public engagement and communication, and demonstrate a
> tangible commitment to improve their performance.This will enhance their
> brand
> 4. It will improve their self-knowledge as an organisation (i.e. employees
> can track what is going on in other divisions).
>
> Are there any organisations that recognise and celebrate open data
> initiatives? Is there some way that they could get a media spin on the
> thing, or get recognition from some kind of external agency or institution?
>
> Cheers,
> Nimi

*

Rufus Pollock

Founder and Co-Director | skype: rufuspollock |
@rufuspollock<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>

Empowering through Open Knowledge
http://okfn.org/ | @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN> | OKF on
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>|