[okfn-za] Time to create a super group?

Adi Eyal adi at code4sa.org
Fri Feb 7 06:18:35 UTC 2014

Hi All

I often cross post to multiple open data oriented groups. That's not a
great system.

It's problematic for people who are registered on more than one group.
A reply to all bounces if you're not registered on a particular group
It fragments the community.

Are there any objections to create a super group the represents
general open data interests nationwide? Obviously each group might
have specific niche interests (e.g. hackshackers) so existing groups
wouldn't disappear. I suggest something like opendata-za. We could
automatically move everyone on each group to a new one.

An opt-out might be better than an opt-in because otherwise we might
lose half of the community due to the sheer volume of emails that most
people receive  in the inboxes.

Any reason why we shouldn't do it?

A deafing silence will signal no objection. I'll create the group on
on Friday next week unless good reasons are put forward not to do so.
Also, send individual opt-outs off-list by then if you don't want to
be added to yet another mailing list.

Regards
Adi

--
Adi Eyal
Director

phone: +27 78 014 2469
skype: adieyalcas
linkedin: http://za.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Adi/Eyal
web: http://www.code4sa.org
twitter: @soapsudtycoon

For more information on how to participate in the open data community
in South Africa, go to: http://www.code4sa.org/#community