[okfn-za] Geological Data

mtb at martinb.za.net mtb at martinb.za.net
Wed Feb 12 14:59:43 UTC 2014

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a couple of queries though:
Would the PAIA actually cover this though? I mean, essentially, I want
vector (shapefiles preferably, or at least something that can be turned
into such) of everything that they have (or can have) on their printed
maps. The data must already be available in this sort of format, since
it gets used in books and such (like _Geological Journeys_ which thanks
the CGS for preparing the maps) as well as their maps.

I put a rewritten version my initial e-mail here
http://blog.martinb.za.net/2014/open-south-african-geological-data/
which is much clearer about what I am asking.

I can certainly file a PAIA, but does it cover the sort of information
that I want, and can I do anything with the information I get? So if I
send them a request for say, the shapefiles showing the extent of the
formations making up the Karoo Supergroup in KwaZulu-Natal and any mines
in it, and they give it to me, am I allowed to use that more freely than
their license agreement?

And yes, I have no problems paying for printed maps, or if I want
something unusual that is not already made or readily available that
they need to run a special query for, or something along those lines.
But the data I am thinking of trying to liberate all appears to exist
digitally already. Further, the CGS, as far as I can tell, is a state
entity.

The other issue is that the printed maps are often old (lots of data is
from the 1980s), and geological knowledge changes and becomes refined.
So if they have more up-to-date information, that would be nice to
have....

Thoughts?

mtb