[okfn-za] Time to create a super group?

Adi Eyal adi at code4sa.org
Thu Feb 27 05:54:49 UTC 2014

Hi Rufus

You're right. The problem is that there has been pushback in the past
regarding joining a group that is affiliated with a particular
organisation. We really need a straight-up open data group for South
Africa. Unfortunately, due to a number of complaints about the opt-out
process, it seems that a mass migration to a new group is not a
popular idea. Creating a new opt-in list will result (as you say)  in
yet another list which is only representative of a small percentage of
the local community and will create further fragmentation.

In short, I think that we're stuck with a tangled mess of multiple
open data-oriented mailing lists. To help, I have put up an
instruction manual for getting involved in the community on our
website to help sort out the mess: http://www.code4sa.org/#community.

Unless someone has a bright idea, I think that we're stuck with this situation.

Adi