[okfn-za] Open Data Evaluation of Government Departments

Francois van Schalkwyk francois at compressdsl.com
Fri Sep 12 09:59:18 UTC 2014

Hi Adi
Would be a very useful exercise.
But I would be careful not to rely too heavily on checklists in order to take the temperature of a department -- you may lose the social dimension of open data readiness, provision and accessibility, as well as the institutional factors at play that value conformity, control and a closed culture.
For example, as you know, the policies can be in place, bold statements can be made on gov websites, and parts of datasets may even be publicly available BUT who you know will often be the main determinant of ready and reliable access to government data.
Still, the temperature-taking exercise could be a valuable first step.
Francois

ps Thanks for breathing some life into this list!