[okfn-za] Liberate South Africa's data - 24th October

Adi Eyal adi at code4sa.org
Thu Oct 15 12:15:15 UTC 2015

Hi All

Something big is brewing in the open data world (we haven’t been given the all clear to say what it is exactly). In order to coincide with the announcement, we are hosting Data Quests in Cape Town, Durban and Pretoria (alas, we couldn’t get it together to arrange an event in Johannesburg).

We’re inviting all you artists, data journalists, activists, teachers, carpenters, garage mechanics and cartographers to join us on the 24th of October to dig through South African data, find stories and build awesome visualisations. This is going to be a coordinated push across the country showing that there is a strong demand for government to open up its data.

So warm up those Excel fingers and sharpen your dataviz skills - next Saturday is going to be a big day for open data in South Africa.

P.S. If you would like to host an event in your town (Pofadder, I’m looking at you), send us an email and we will help you set it up.

If you’re planning on coming, please fill in this form:  https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17vS6tGNnJr65h5ONFXTnrpIOxoWhXR6wEeCrO5A1DaE/viewform

You should also RSVP on our meetup pages:
Cape Town: http://www.meetup.com/Code-for-South-Africa-Hackers/events/226054849/ <http://www.meetup.com/Code-for-South-Africa-Hackers/events/226054849/>
Durban: http://www.meetup.com/Open-Data-Durban-Meetup/events/226075253/ <http://www.meetup.com/Open-Data-Durban-Meetup/events/226075253/>
Pretoria: still coming