[Open-access] Green Gold Gratis Libre

Klaus Graf klausgraf at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 24 15:06:23 UTC 2012

For me this discussion is a little bit strange.

I am an advocate of the BBB definition of OA and do not appreciate any
try to ignore the progess between BOAI and Berlin. Berlin is the most
accepted OA declaration.

Suber has shown several times that the BBB definitions have a core
meaning. Therefore it is allowed to speak of "the" BBB definition.

CC-BY is the CC license which fits best the BBB definition but at the
time of the BOAI CC (which was foundet also in 2001) was only in statu
nascendi.

The Berlin definition has towo points which are not up to date:

(1) "as well as the right to make small numbers of printed copies for
their personal use." This is overruled by all CC licenses.

(2) "A complete version of the work and all supplemental materials,
including a copy of the permission as stated above". This is overruled
by tagging with CC-licenses.

What gratis and libre means has been fixed in a Suber/Harnad agreement:

http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/08-02-08.htm#gratis-libre

We should not confuse the things by claiming that CC-NC or ND isn't
libre ("removal of price and at least some permission barriers").

Klaus Graf