[Open-access] Green Gold Gratis Libre

Tom Olijhoek tom.olijhoek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 16:18:35 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Mike Taylor <mike at indexdata.com> wrote:

> I had not seen Peter Suber's gratis/libre post before.  It is very
> good, and I highly recommend it to everyone.  It makes much of what
> we've discussed here unnecessary:
>
> http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/08-02-08.htm#gratis-libre

It is in the link list of the @ccess website from the beginning and also in
the definition page2
I also think it is very clear on green ,gratis, libre and free

> But I wish he'd have the basic common sense to put each of his posts
> on a separate page!  There is a better page to cite (with the same
> content) at:
>        http://www.arl.org/sparc/publications/articles/gratisandlibre.shtml
>
> Having seen this, I think we should not attempt our own definitions.
> They would be superfluous and would only create more confusion.
>
> -- Mike.
>
> P.S. Can anyone briefly bring me up to speed on the history?  Why do
> we even HAVE a Berlin definition when we already had the Budapest
> definition?  What was that not sufficient?

I think the Budapest Definition is still very valid and the most libre kind
of open access (see peter's mail). The list can still be signed!!!  fgs
 The other conferences are more detailed descriptions for other kinds of
media as far as I can tell.
I think that we can safely stick with BOAI Open Access defined by us as
@ccess  and only refer to the other detailed descriptions like Berlin for
those cases where this is necessary.because of inclusion of other media.
If we don't stick with it we only create confusion IMO.

TOM