[Open-access] Wellcome's new Open Access policy very welcome

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 28 14:12:37 UTC 2012

This is a potential opportunity for our Open Access index. Assuming we can
find all the papers in the scientific literature we can find the
affiliations of the authors. Very often this has addresses which include
the string "Wellcome". This is likely to be someone in a "Wellcome unit",
so we could index these against whether the paper is Open.

It won't be 100%

I tried this at one stage with Cell and "Medical Research Council". I go
the impression that a lot of papers were not Open. Maybe they were in a
repo somewhere (or maybe not).

It would be particularly useful to do this as the papers were published. It
gives us an excellent reason for crawling the literature with Pubcrawler.
It could generate a lot of interest (not all would be appreciative!)

P.