[Open-access] Elsevier 'sponsored article'

Björn Brembs b.brembs at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 2 01:33:05 UTC 2012

Dear all,

some interesting information on the copyright
transfer for Elsevier's 'sponsored articles':

Subject
------------------------------ ---------------------------------
Copyright on sponsored articles

Discussion
Response Via Email(Antoinette) - 01/03/2012 05.20 PM

Dear Dr Roberts,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I can advise you to sign your copyright form as normal. Please choose the
option that most applies to you.

If you choose to pay for open access, your paper will be freely available
to all on Science Direct only for all time.

I hope this is of some help to you however if there is anything you are
still not clear about, please do not hesitate to ask and please also
provide me with your reference number or article title for me to check this
in our production tracking system.

You may also find the following link of interest:

http://support.elsevier.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/557

If responding to this e-mail, please ensure that the reference number
remains in the subject line.

Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please visit our
self-help site at: http://support.elsevier.com/. Here you will be able to
search for solutions on a range of topics, find answers to frequently asked
questions and learn more about EES via interactive tutorials. You will also
find our 24/7 support contact details should you need further assistance
from one of our customer service representatives.

Yours sincerely,

Antoinette Duffy

Elsevier Customer Support

Copyright 2008 Elsevier Limited. All rights reserved.
How are we doing? If you have any feedback on our customer service we would
be happy to receive your comments at customerfeedback at elsevier.com

Customer By Email (David Roberts) - 22/02/2012 07.15 AM

Dear sir/madam,

If I pay for my article to be sponsored so that it is ‘available to
non-subscribers’ on Elsevier’s ‘electronic platform', what copyright
notice do I sign? Elsevier is giving the article away – that is to say
I have paid for the costs associated with the article – does Elsevier
still own the copyright, and, more importantly, is the file allowed to
be hosted anywhere else? Or, to put it another way, what is the legal
status of the published article, and what future-proofing is there to
maintain that free access in perpetuity?

Kind regards,

David Roberts
--
Visiting Research Fellow