[Open-access] Elsevier 'sponsored article'

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 2 07:28:19 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 7:16 AM, Mike Taylor <mike at indexdata.com> wrote:

> Very interesting.  The notion of "freely available to all on Science
> Direct only for all time" suggests (again) that they really haven't
> thought this through, as it implies a commitment to keep SD going
> *forever* -- something they are really not in a position to do.
>
> It would *great* if someone paid the $3000, put a copy of the PDF on
> the open web, and then got a takedown notice.  Almost worth spending
> the money just to provoke such a ludicrous scenario!
>
> Many other publishers are as bad as Elsevier (I deliberately use this
language). We must get Ross Mounce's excellent survey formalized and
published.

Unfortunately I suspect they *have* thought this through and are doing
whatever is possible to restrict the flow of scholarly information unless
they control it.

It is , of course, made much worse because academia, especially the
libraries, has no interest in this problem. (I hope that's a disprovably
false statement but I have seen no evidence).

FWIW I am concentrating on our response to Hargreaves - there is an urgency
and we should not now expect Jenny to have to pull this together. We need a
volunteer to help me and others.