[Open-access] Risks in using an Addendum

Steven Bhardwaj sbhard at bu.edu
Thu Dec 12 00:29:42 UTC 2013

> *I've never heard even a rumour of a journal either cancelling or delaying
> publication due to an author's use of an addendum. AT WORST they will just
> refuse to accept the addendum.*

Great to hear! Perhaps anecdotes like yours are all I need for hard
evidence, if there are enough of them. Maybe I should draft an open letter
that expresses what you are saying, and get it signed by a number of
academics, deans, provosts, and the like, at institutions where many papers
are published with addenda.

Would an open letter would be a good method? Has it already been done, or
is there a better way?

*I recommend a simpler solution: just place your manuscript in the public
> domain. This will put it on the same footing as works produced by the US
> Federal Government, e.g. palaeontologists working for the Bureau of Land
> Management. Then when the journal asks for copyright transfer, you can
> simply and honestly reply that there is no copyright to transfer, but that
> give enthusiastic permission to publish.*

That's certainly innovative and exciting, a daredevil way to publish a work
open-access... I like it! I reviewed an interesting thread on the topic here
on svpow<http://svpow.com/2012/12/13/what-would-happen-if-i-placed-my-manuscripts-in-the-public-domain/>
that
you participated in. However, I worry that faculty leadership at my
institution are somewhat loss-averse regarding their junior faculty's
publications. The query I am reporting comes from comments made by one of
our Associate Provosts. I expect that none could accuse her of playing fast
and loose with the university's academic ranking.

-Steven Bhardwaj
sbhard at bu.edu