[Open-access] MIT Press Journals

Rupert Gatti rupert.gatti at openbookpublishers.com
Thu Jun 4 10:12:10 UTC 2015

Can I highlight the importance of the exclusive/non-exclusive publishing
agreement authors sign with CC licences - as so well described in Tom's
blog post mentioned above
https://doajournals.wordpress.com/2015/06/02/copyright-and-licensing-part-2/

I recently came across a case where an author wished to republish one of
his own articles in an anthology. The author had paid the orginal publisher
a "Open Access apc" to licence the original article CC BY-NC-ND, but signed
a contract with the 'exclusive' publishing clause. Thus the original
publisher is legally able to prevent the author republishing his own
article in a different format (and, in fact, appeared to be doing just
that). It also means that the original publisher has complete control over
granting permissions for any re-use of the article (that is, reuse not
automatically granted by the CC licence) for the full lifetime of the
copyright, unless there is an explicit time limit on the 'exclusive'
publishing agreement - which is not common presently.

Of course, many publishers will respond that unless they have a exclusivity
clause or similar restriction the author could immediately re-publish the
work under any other licence (at an extreme CC 0 or public domain) s/he
wishes - which, for those publishers, defeats the purpose of applying the
initial licence. But for an OA work it seems to me ensuring that the
unrestricted copyright remains with the author is really important, and not
well articulated to date. So it is a great thing that DOAJ has identified
the importance of this and included an unrestricted copyright condition for
their SEAL.

Rupert

Dr Rupert Gatti
Director