[Open-access] Rounded Globe: scholarly essays with a CC license

Richard Poynder ricky at richardpoynder.co.uk
Wed Mar 11 08:38:26 UTC 2015

Peter Murray-Rust <peter.murray.rust at googlemail.com <mailto:peter.murray.rust at googlemail.com> > wrote:

Secondly I argue strongly against the use of "published under a CC licence" (this is common with many publishers.  CC licences cover many licences including effectively "all rights reserved". In many cases the phrase is used to suggest that the publisher is aligned with Open Access principles such as BOAI. It is not clear what your CC licence/s are, but from reading the text there seems to be at least CC-BY-NC-ND, which many people conside a fairly restrictive licence. I am not saying you should or shouldn't use that licence but you SHOULD identify it on the landing page and remove any implication that CC supports this project (if it doesn't)

Yes, it would help if the licence used was made clear on the landing page, but the Rounded Globe is perfectly entitled to use the CC-BY-NC-ND licence if that is what the authors prefer. Moreover, the FAQ does say:

Are you part of the Open Access movement?

No. Open Access tends to be advocated by those within the academic system who believe that research should be available to all. This is all well and good. But we operate outside the universities and find most research indigestible. Rather than campaigning to make all publications in the humanities public we work to put the best of it into circulation.