[open-archaeology] conference call August 18th

Stefano Costa stefano.costa at okfn.org
Mon Aug 16 12:11:32 UTC 2010

Hi Jo and all,

This is all still in my court and I'm increasingly time-poor at the moment.
Impending arrival of baby 3 will place me in a temporal desert (this is a
good thing ;-).

That said things are still moving. I've spoken to people at the Portable
Antiquities Scheme on generic issues. It's my intention to go to London and
meet up with the team to find out how their experience of navigating the
ethical conundrum of setting up the PAS. For those who don't know the PAS
team effectively bridged two polarised communities (#generalisation
metal-detectorists and archaeologists) and had to transcend a number of
ingrained negative views. The "night-hawker" ethical issue was overcome. I
hope the outcome of this meeting will provide the body of a statement and a
clearer view of what other questions need answering, what else needs
including and what other organisations should be canvassed or included as
signatories. This would be on the etherpad so we can all edit it.

Regarding other organisation I was thinking of keeping it UK focussed but
including: ADS, EH, RCAHMS, RCAHMW, HS, CBA, IfA, ALGAO.

I have tweeted with Mike Heyworth at the CBA and he seems quite supportive
(I'd like to think that this would also mean that Dan Hull in Ireland can be
roped in). Regarding the rest, many representatives will be out at the
September conference and can also move these under the noses of appropriate
people via organisational representation on the DART project. An IfA member
would be best to do some movement their (possibly a data ethics SIG - I
might actually join the IfA then). An ALGAO contact would be appreciated

Finally, a meeting........

I can't think of a way to get things to move faster, unless someone else can
contribute travel/meeting time to this. Although, if we can exploit each
others networks we can save time in getting the right people quickly (but to
be honest I think I can do that quite easily with most of the organisations
I've listed).

The other thing that would be useful is a list of the higher level aims for
an ethics statement on the etherpad we set up. If the views of this forum
aren't articulated then I will do what I think is right. I have no problem
in doing this but do realise that it is unlikely to be representative

Does that sound like a sensible course?