[open-archaeology] Cuneiform Digital Library and Open Knowledge Foundation working groups

Eleanor Robson er264 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 22 14:13:15 UTC 2010

Dear Stefano and colleagues,

thanks for your patience and persistence! The short answer is yes, we
are still very interested. I'm sorry for the long silence, but we've
had a good excuse: shortly after my initial meeting with Rufus, my
group decided that we should rebrand (as we kept being confused with
another, less open project with a similar name) and also use that
opportunity to have a massive rationalisation of our file structure,
programming, documentation, etc., etc. which should finally be
finished and go public at the end of this month.

Our new name is Oracc (the Open, Richly Annotated Cuneiform Corpus)
and you can find us at http://oracc.museum.upenn.edu/ There's still a
bit of housekeeping and tidying up do (including CC at-sa licenses to
add). But -- as I hope will be obvious from our new name -- one of the
things we wanted to do was to be much more explicit about our
commitment to openness; I still need to make that a bit clearer in our http://oracc.museum.upenn.edu/osc-about.html
  with, most obviously, a link to you guys and the Open Knowledge
Definition.

In short, we're pretty much ready to go now, give or take a few
tweaks, and to get more involved in bigger things (within our means of
course: there are just the three of us  -- me in Cambridge, Steve in
Philadelphia and Niek at Berkeley -- and we all do this unfunded, on
top of full-time teaching and research, like many of you do too, I
guess).

All best,

Eleanor
--
Dr Eleanor Robson
Reader in Ancient Middle Eastern Science
er264 at cam.ac.uk