[open-bibliography] URNs for National Bib Numbers

Ross Singer ross.singer at talis.com
Wed Dec 8 21:39:49 UTC 2010

Right, the original RFC for NBNs is a little vague on a couple of
counts.  My interpretation of the section around that F-code is that
it's specific to the National Library of Finland and maybe its
inclusion in the RFC is to give implementers some guidance if they
have no persistent identifier scheme?  I don't really know (and
reading RFCs is akin to pouring acid in my eyes on an enjoyment
scale).

The RFC also gives the following URN template:

urn:nbn:{ISO 3166 code}-{NBN string}
or
urn:nbn:{ISO 3166 code}:{sub-namespace code}-{NBN string}

So, like Ben pointed out, I think the format for the bnb would be
something like:

urn:nbn:gb:bnb-GBA267005

although following the model that the Germans seem to use, it would
look more like:

urn:nbn:gb:bnb:GBA267005

but it's hard to tell.  Neither the National Library of Sweden nor the
National Library of Hungary appear to include their nbns in their
catalogs (so, by default, they aren't appearing in either library's
RDF).

I definitely agree with you, re: the downside of using URNs.  I wonder
if it would be worthwhile to set up a purl like:

http://purl.org/NET/nbn/gb/bnb/{id}

where "gb" could route to some nationally appropriate resolver?

Not sure.

-Ross.