[open-bibliography] Bulk importing data to Bibliographica?

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Fri Jun 11 19:03:54 UTC 2010

Quoting Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>:

> Leading fairy tale scholar Jack Zipes has kindly donated several large
> bibliographies for a new project called the Synoptic Folktale Index,
> based on the Bibliographica technology.
>
>   http://jonathangray.org/files/bibliographica/
>
> We're planning to work with researchers in this area to convert these
> bibliographies into a spreadsheet -- so we can bulk import them into
> an instance of Bibliographica.

Looking at the files, they don't seem to have a large number of PD works.

That said, can any of Zotero's algorithms parse these? that would be a
good way to get them into some kind of data format, rather than just
simple strings.

Beyond that, one of the (many) frustrating things about citations is
the lack of identifiers -- no ISBNs, in particular. Once you have
parsed out at least author, title, and date, you might be able to
compare these to another database - Open Library, Library Thing,
whatever - to retrieve the identifiers plus any other information
(subject headings in particular).

kc