[open-bibliography] New group for bibliographic data on CKAN

Eric Lease Morgan eric_morgan at infomotions.com
Tue Mar 16 13:53:03 UTC 2010

>> BibCurator
>> http://docs.google.com/View?id=dg263gpx_113md7mcd3
>>
>> Bibliographic Knowledge Network Project
>> http://docs.google.com/View?id=dg263gpx_115crk46933
>
> Extensible Catalog project's metadata tools:
> http://code.google.com/p/xcmetadataservicestoolkit/

Even without knowing the fullest of details on either BibCurator nor the Bibliographic Knowledge Network Project, I can say XC's Metadata Services Toolkit (MST) is able to play a role in the development of these services. This is because, given a set of MARC-ish data, the MST provides an interface to transform, manipulate, and expose metadata in ways that is only limited by XSL technologies. Loop through sets of data and transpose first names and last names. Loop through sets of data and update plain text fields with authorized forms or pointers to URIs. Convert internal XC XML into other flavors and forms of text (XML) files. Moreover, MST implementations can be dispersed across the network -- the "cloud" -- so one MST transformation at one location/institution can be chained with another MST transformation somewhere else. Not a panacea. Not a silver bullet, but rather a useful possibility.

--
Eric Lease Morgan