[open-bibliography] FRBR examples

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu May 27 11:11:51 UTC 2010

On 26 May 2010 19:34, Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote:
> There are some attempts at examples on the DC-RDA wiki:
>
> http://dublincore.org/dcmirdataskgroup/Scenarios

That's really useful Karen, I hadn't seen that before.

What I find immediately confusing in Scenario 1 is why Vonnegut's
novel is a Work but the translation is an Expression? For example,
both efforts would receive copyright as new "works",  though the
translation would obviously be considered a "derivative work".

While it is clear there is a derivative relation to be expressed it
seems to me the Work-Expression hierarchy is the wrong way to do this.

For example, what happens if someone were to translate the translation
(or make a play of film based on the translation)? You'd then couldn't
model this derived-from relationship via Work->Expression hierarchy
because the translation is not a work but an expression. As I said
before I rather feel FRBR has confused derived-from (which can occur
multiple times: X derives from Y derives from Z) with a hierarchy
(with a single level).

Or perhaps, I'm missing something here ...

> For each scenario, click on the link that looks like "Scenarios/1" and
> you'll see turtle and RDF/XML representations of the data using FRBR
> entities and RDA elements. These haven't gotten much discussion and I'm not
> sure I agree with all of it, but we can add more examples and more
> interpretations of them on that site if that would help.

Thanks for pointing this out. How does one submit feedback -- just
edit the page? (It looks so neat!)

Rufus