[open-bibliography] Metadata aggregators, discovery tools and libraries

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Jan 23 17:25:12 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Rachel BRUCE <r.bruce at jisc.ac.uk> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> I may not have all the details here, but I believe that the JournalTOCs
> data and service is open and free, and the software is open source, what is
> potentially being charged for is a customised service on top of JournalTOCs
> which taylors additional services and views on the JournalTOCs data to
> libraries. They are looking into this as a model to sustain the underlying
> work and to add value.

That would be great. We have sufficient technical expertise that we can tap
into a raw stream of bibliographic data and transform it for our own
purposes (which includes integration with (UK)PMC bibliography and any other
bibliographies that may emerge (e.g. from JimP). We would regard the
JournalTOCs
as a canonical feed but would attempt to resolve against other sources
(Ben's system supports the linking of alternative and possibly inconsistent
sources). In this way we build up a Bibliographic resource which can be
searched and traversed and which is OKD-Open.

We would hope to be able to retrieve the JT back material and integrate
that. Note that we do not "normalize" data - we allow apparently identical
sources to be linked (I think that's right, Ben?).

On the assumption that we can continue to get Open feeds from Herriott-Watt
I would be happy to talk with them in depth and to see how the technologies
converge. Where do they get their feeds from?

We have bibliographic crawling technology ("pubCrawler") which can - in
principle be used to retrieve resources not in the system. This will require
customization for each publisher (probably not each journal) if we wish to
get the full Open Bibliographic Data set from a paper (e.g. the JT does not
give author location).

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust