[open-bibliography] A 4 star classification-scheme for open cultural meta-data

Adrian Pohl adrian.pohl at okfn.org
Tue Jun 7 11:23:47 UTC 2011

Hello,

as Jonathan says, the draft classification scheme is now published at
the LOD-LAM blog and can be commented and discussed there:
http://lod-lam.net/summit/2011/06/06/proposed-a-4-star-classification-scheme-for-linked-open-cultural-metadata/

I took part in creating the document at the LOD-LAM summit and we had
some interesting discussions around it.
I myself have problems with it as it doesn't explicitely say that we
are talking about _collections_ of metadata. In fact, it isn't said at
all what "licensing metadata" means, i.e. where to attach the license.
This is problematic, because if someone only licenses individual
records, the whole collection could nonetheless be subject to
intellectual property rights...

Especially, this isn't good in combination with another limitation: The open
definition is only partly supported by the document. The requirement
that a work should be made available as a whole isn't supported.

I'll contribute more on this the next days if I get the time...

All the best
Adrian