[open-bibliography] Wikipedia project: bibliographic-archival data base

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 13 20:50:07 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote:

> Quoting Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk>:
>
>  * all references should - if possible - include a description of the
>> rights
>> of the referenced object. e.g. if someone references an Open Access paper,
>> then it should be denoted as such in WP. This would be a tremendous
>> example
>> of the power of OB.
>>

> But we do need metadata for rights in order to do that. I did a rights
> metadata schema for the University of California some years ago, although it
> may be too complex (it was designed to also meet the needs of archives). DC
> has a rights field that is very simple - it would be good, though, to define
> a set of values. Does anyone know of a rights vocabulary we could use?
>
> DC, which does not have a controlled vocabulary. And CC which can be
rendered in RDF.

I think we need this rapidly. There is also an argument for a vocabulary of
values, e.g.
licence = CC0

where each of these could be a URI.

Given the previous discussion I think licences would be a good place to
start. They are neecessary if not sufficient.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics