[open-bibliography] Bibliographical data for the world's lesser known languages

Jim Pitman pitman at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Mar 2 18:04:12 UTC 2012

Dear Sebastian. Very interesting to see this.
My main suggestion would be to for you to make the data available in
BibJSON  http://bibjson.org which would provide higher quality upload to
BibServer displays than can be done with your present BibTeX.
It would be excellent if you could install a BibServer to display the data your site.
Do you have sys admin or programming resources who could contribute to such an installation?

One comment about
> Data are available under CC-BY-NC due to some issues upstream.

When I look at a typical page e.g. http://glottolog.livingsources.org/resource/reference/id/121160.xhtml I see the logo for CC BY NC ND, though the link is to
CC-BY-NC . I suggest you change the logo to a CC-BY-NC logo to avoid confusion.

As a technical point, I think the CC-BY-NC license on the data needs to be indicated in individual records such as at the above link. This is something we have not yet dealt with in BibJSON, but this is a basic provenance issue which we will have to deal with sooner or later. I would be
glad to work with you on this.
While the NC clause is not my favorite, I appreciate the need of some data providers to insist on it, and we need to find a way to express this and other licensing conditions in biblio data records.

--Jim
Jim Pitman
Professor of Statistics and Mathematics
University of California