[Open-data-census] Scoring OpenData Completeness

Daniela Mattern daniela.mattern at it3s.org
Tue Nov 5 12:50:47 GMT 2013

Hi Andreas,

that is a great idea.
I have used the data from Austrian census and your evaluation to somehow
dedide what will be an appropriate score for Brazilian air pollution data.
I tried to compare also with examples from other countries in order to
measure completeness as the criteria are sometimes vague.

I suggest that we further study one of these datasets and compare datasets
between countries in order to understand which data could be potentially
offered and which datasets are the most complete.

Would you like to work on this?

Who else is interested in finding best datasets and further discussing
evaluation standards?

Best,

Daniela

2013/11/5 Andreas Trawoeger <atrawog at kartenwerkstatt.at>

> I'm currently reviewing the scores for Austria and I'm a quite worried
> that Data Completeness isn't scored in any form.
>
> OpenData and OpenGovernment has got quite popular in Austria and every
> government agency starts to publish some kind of OpenData (which is a
> good thing).
>
> Only problem is that some agencies only offer either a single or
> multiple incomplete data sets which are pretty useless in real use,
> but allows them to get good scores in multiple evaluation.
>
> A good example is the Umweltbundesamt (Federal Environment Agency
> Austria) which only offers the current hourly averaged Ozone data and
> still gets a Open Data Index Score of 70% [0].
>
> What worries me is that the Open Data Index in the current form could
> encourage and reward agencies to only do a OpenData lip service.
>
> My suggestion for the next index revision would be to choose a best
> practice example for every category and score the Data Completeness
> relative to that.
>
> For air pollution I would recommend the EEA AirBase [1] as reference
> which offers excellent air pollution data about Europe.
>

> cu andreas
>
> [0] https://index.okfn.org/country/Austria/emissions
> [1]
> http://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/data/airbase-the-european-air-quality-database-7#tab-data-by-country

Daniela Mattern
Coordenadora Geral
IT3S - Instituto de Fomento à Tecnologia do Terceiro Setor
Fone: 0055-11-36285787
Celular: 0055-11-987 356 563

Siga nosso Twitter <https://twitter.com/#%21/it3s> | Acompanhe nosso
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/IT3S.org>