[Open-data-census] Dilemmas in running a City Census

Antti Jogi Poikola antti.poikola at gmail.com
Fri May 9 07:26:19 UTC 2014

Hi

On 7 May 2014 17:58, Silviu Vert <silviu.vert at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) What do you do if some local datasets are to be found at the central
> level? For example, in Romania, the local election results are processed
> all together and exposed by a central institution, the Permanent Electoral
> Authority. Do you just put the same exact evaluation for each city in your
> list, pointing out to the central dataset? Can this be considered relevant
> for the evaluation and comparison between cities?

we modified the Finland census data sets - in stead of election results
(which are trivial since found from central gov site) we are asking for the
boundaries of electoral districts which is data that is in deed held by the
cities.

> 2) What is your experience with the number of cities when starting the
> census? Do you prefer to put just a few cities at the beginning, for
> simplification? Do you find it overwhelming to have tens of cities in the
> list from the beginning? What about the number of datasets: does it have
> any influence at the start of the census?

We added first those cities from where we know some open knowledge actives
who we then try to get involved in filling the data.

-Jogi / Finland