[Open-data-census] Feedback on configuring a new census and a request for help from Australia

Christian Villum christian.villum at okfn.org
Mon Feb 23 16:11:43 UTC 2015

Thank you Stephen, for this very useful and concrete feedback. I clearly
understand your confusion, and all comments are very valid. We will run
through all items and improve the documentation in the next round of update
work later this year. Thank you!

With regards to the communication channels, I agree that this can be a
little difficult to navigate as well and that we could make it clearer what
the intention for each channel is (I'll add this to the list of needed
improvements), but just to recap here for everyone's benefit:

   - Private Google Forum -- *this was set up in order to be able to reach
   all local census owners in one go (if needed), as not all admins choose to
   subscribe to the public Census list. It *can* be used for two-way
   communication, but that is not the intention [as we generally believe
   public convos are better].*
   - Open Data Census mailing list -- *this is the main forum for
   everything, both discussions and for reporting bugs, etc., since it's easy
   to use for anyone (as compared to github which can be a little daunting for
   the non-tech savvy) *
   - census at okfn.org -- *this is intended only to be used in rare cases, as
   we can easily get flooded with duplicate queries, so in most cases we ask
   those sending us direct emails to post onto the public discussion list
   where other peers can help too.*
   - GitHub Issues -- *this is where we track bugs, and issues from
   community members are very welcome, although flagging bugs on the list is
   also fine.*

I believe all urgent issues are resolved for the Australian Regional Census
for now? If not let us know! :)

Thanks again for these comments, very useful!

-Christian

--

Christian Villum
International Community Manager

skype: christianvillum  |  @villum <http://www.twitter.com/villum>
Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/>
* - A World Where Knowledge Creates Power For The Many, Not The Few*
http://okfn.org/ | @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>   Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> | Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>