[open-development] FW: Final Minutes of IATI Signatories and Steering Committee Meeting 7th July 2010

Karin Christiansen karin.christiansen at publishwhatyoufund.org
Fri Aug 6 18:30:45 UTC 2010

Dear All (w apologies for cross-posting)

Attached the *official minutes of the recent 7th July IATI Steering
Committee meeting*.  The Partner country meeting minutes from the 6th are in
draft and I will forward as soon as we get the final ones.

In the document I have highlighted who spoke (EC, Germany, UK, etc) in them
so that it is easy for you to scan for a particular country/interest/donor.
 While we made it over the line, I think it reiterates our concern about
potential backsliding in the positions of Germany, EC and Australia in
particular.   I am also attaching the summary the CSO Steering Committee
members put together (thanks again to Craig for leading that).

As follow up *the **CSO Steering Group  wrote to the signatory donors* after
the meeting as follow up on this.  The letters and the responses to date can
be seen here:
http://publishwhatyoufund.org/campaign-targets/international-aid-transparency-initiative/iati-letters-ministers

The second attachment is also the actual *phase 1 IATI standard *– it might
be *worth passing this on to your internal management information systems
people*.  With time this will I suspect have implications for CSOs and
delivery agencies and feedback now on the coding to match what is already
happen would clearly be much more efficient.

Cut and paste below for easy reference are the *next steps* from the last
page, and the *summary of what was agreed* from the first page.

*Next steps for IATI *Romilly Greenhill outlined the overall process over
the next three months:

Summer-September, technical work and individual donor implementation
schedules;

Beginning of October, TAG meeting;

Sept-Nov, workshops with partner countries, linked to other aid
effectiveness events.

Steering Committee meeting late October at time of WP-EFF;

October on, the Registry will be up and running;

December, Signatories and Steering Committee meeting to agree the remaining
parts of the IATI standard.

As there was insufficient time to discuss IATI post-2011, this will be
discussed at the October meeting.

*Summary of recommendations agreed: *

   1. *Phase 1* to include items as proposed, with addition of *activity
   status* (3.14) and retention of 1.8 (annual forward planning *budget for
   agency*, clarifying that it is for as many years as available and as
   submitted to parliament/executive boards) and 1.10 (annual forward planning
   *budget data for funded institutions*).
   2. Include *actual activity dates* (3.13) and *transaction level
detail*(4.6), accepting for 4.6 that some donors would need thresholds
on the size
   of transactions to be published and that publication was aspirational, with
   only a few donors able to deliver at present.
   3. No change to aid type (3.7.1); use transaction reporting for more
   detailed analysis of *technical assistance experts*.
   4. Include *activity contacts* (3.15) in phase 2.
   5. Include forward indicative aggregate *budgets by country* (1.12) in
   phase 2, able to be mapped to the FY of the partner country and with
   suitable qualifications about the data being indicative and subject to
   parliamentary or Executive Board approval and change. Data to be for
   commitments or disbursements, or both, on a rolling 3-5 year basis where
   they exist, or for as many future years as possible.
   6. *Frequency*: Data to be published as soon as possible and at least
   quarterly, clearly identifying those data that are still subject to quality
   assurance and audit. Donor implementation schedules to reflect that for many
   donors it will take time to publish more frequently than quarterly.
   7. *Timetable*: All signatories should aim to implement phase 1 before
   HLF4. (It was subsequently agreed that the Framework for Implementation—to
   be agreed in December—should capture the collective level of ambition with
   regard to this proposed timetable, and perhaps include stronger wording,
   whilst acknowledging that three or so donors would not be in a position to
   implement phase 1 by November 2011.)
   8. Combined with recommendation 6.
   9. Publish as much data as possible, with a verifiable rationale for
   exceptions to the *coverage* of the data given in donor implementation
   schedules. The standard applies to all ongoing projects.
   10. Keep *data exceptions* to a minimum and based on existing national or
   other regulations. Fully explain them in donor implementation schedules,
   indicating how to question exceptions made. Work on exceptions in parallel
   with Framework for Implementation.
   11. TAG to produce more detailed proposals to develop and maintain
*organisation
   codes*, based on a decentralised model.
   12. IATI/TAG to discuss publishing of information by *implementing
   agencies* as part of the work on documents and policies, as well as in
   the Framework for Implementation.

Have a good weekend everyone

Karin

--