[open-development] World Bank: New Practitioner Resources on Access to Information

Chris Watkins chriswaterguy at appropedia.org
Thu Aug 5 11:48:09 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 16:41, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:11 AM, Chris Watkins
> <chriswaterguy at appropedia.org> wrote:
> > 1. Good to see the WB showing an awareness of this.
> > 2. Frustrating to see them telling the world "how it's done" when
> > their own standards of openness are  in need of serious improvement.
>
> You saw this right?
>
> http://blog.okfn.org/2010/04/20/world-bank-opens-up-development-data/
> http://ckan.net/package/world-bank
>
> This too:
>
> http://www.worldbank.org/wbaccess
> http://www.worldbank.org/html/extdr/worldbankreform/
>
> And this?
>

> http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/NEWS/0,,contentMDK:22634909~pagePK:34370~piPK:34424~theSitePK:4607,00.html

Actually, I wasn't aware - that's a huge shift and I'm impressed. This is
really good news.

> What else should they be doing? (Not a rhetorical question!) ;-)

Though the above is great, and empowers those working with development data,
it offers little to people and groups like Appropedia who deal mainly with
text and images. I've seen nothing about an open license for text (and/or
images) being discussed for the WB. (I'm also not sure if
publishwhatyoufund.org is working on this.)

We'd love to see, for example the WB's excellent "Participation Sourcebook"
available so we could adapt sections of it for our guides for aid and
development workers.

Chris