[open-development] Scoping open data in development

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 21:23:49 UTC 2011

Hey all,

As part of a paper I'm working on around linked data in international
development I've been trying to find a way of getting a broad sense of what
might be the scope of the 'international development open data' landscape.

A lot of the discussions around development data focus on aid data, or a
limited number of larger datasets, but from the perspective of agencies both
at grassroots and international levels working in development, a whole host
of different datasets may be relevant - and useful to have open access to.

So to help with that scoping I asked two researchers to put together a list
of as many datasets as they could that fell within broadly defined areas of
development.

I'm using this list of datasets to help in my own research making sense of
what open data in development might be (initial reflections in a blog post
here:
http://www.practicalparticipation.co.uk/odi/2011/05/mapping-open-development-data-a-draft-method-micro-study/)
but I thought the spreadsheet might be of use to others.

It's up as a Google Doc here:
https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?hl=en_GB&key=ttbyUjSvdZvpSJC3nlh_rfw&hl=en_GB#gid=0

I've not made this version editable - as I'm more at the analysis stage
rather than crowdsourcing more ideas (and of course, crowdsourced lists of
data should probably end up on CKAN), but if you do want to take a copy to
edit and adapt please do feel free.

Look forward to hopefully meeting a number of you on this list in person at
OKCon in a few weeks. There has been some suggestion we should try and
organise a lunchtime gathering of open-development folk there to share some
of the different projects underway and possible future projects...

All the best

Tim

--

http://www.timdavies.org.uk