[open-development] Nigerian Statistics Office Data Portal...

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Jun 20 19:00:48 UTC 2012

On 20 June 2012 17:42, Tariq Khokhar <tariq at khokhar.net> wrote:
> Thought you folks may be interested in news from Nigeria's Statistics Bureau
> ( http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/ ) who've just launched the "Nigeria
> Statistical Data Portal"  http://nigeria.prognoz.com/Map.aspx

It is obviously great to see countries taking a more progressive
approach but I must say this example does seem to be of the "Shiny
Front End" variety [1] -- i.e. bunch of swish graphics (that were no
doubt not cheap to get!) and no data (or even links to data).

[1]: http://blog.okfn.org/2007/11/07/give-us-the-data-raw-and-give-it-to-us-now/

I've looked hard (apologies if I have missed it) to locate any raw
data anywhere on this site or the main Statistical agency site but
come up empty (there is a form to request data:
http://nigerianstat.gov.ng/requests).

I therefore wonder whether it would not have been a better use of time
/ money to have put out the data behind those shiny graphics as simple
CSV / JSON files ...

> While this doesn't check all the boxes to be called "open data" it's
> encouraging to see a progressive approach to the dissemination of national
> data.

It's not about box-checking for open data I'd argue it was about
simple re-usability and value for money ;-)

> We're finding at the World Bank that some national statistics offces are
> quite receptive towards supporting notion of national open data initiatives
> because they already have experience and mandates for handling official
> government data. On the other hand, some are not that keen at all!

I can imagine :-)

> As ever, good examples from other countries in the region go a long way
> towards building the case for opening up government data.

Strong +1

Rufus