[open-development] OKFest session proposal: Perspectives on open knowledge: an open panel

stephen kovats kovats at r0g-media.org
Fri Mar 14 08:14:17 UTC 2014

Hi Gisele,

as part of the work/research i'm doing vis-a-vis open knowledge in crisis and post-conflict transformation i'm interested in exploring in more detail the point that you mention on the dialogue between 'civic hackers/open data activists and social leaderships/grassroot movements'.

This is a really fundamental 'hinge' point when it comes not only to engaging dialogue, but to look at the social/cultural methodologies employed by creative open culture hactivists, which of course also includes artists and other cultural operators. Although for me this is a general question and interest, this particular 'thread' of activity applies to two initiatives I'm involved in, one of which I hope to 'bring to the table' at OKfest. The first being the development of strategies for 'post-conflict open urbanist development' (in connection with an initiative called the 'architecture of peace', which began with a look at Balkan urbansim, and is now being formulated to be considered within the process of urbanism in some african proto-urban contexts, i.e. Juba, South Sudan), the other being a 'critical makers' event that may take place in Indonesia next year. A number of the players in this, and lead projects are coming from Brazil (such as metareciclagem and the bricolabs network). As such, i'd be really interested to talk to you about the Sao Paolo work, and if you will indeed be at OKfest, then perhaps you can join the 'post-conflict open urbanism' discussion (if it gets on the agenda). Creating plausible interaction, and moving to urban/civic action is the key challenge here.

Does anybody else on the 'opendev' thread here know about further 'open urbanism' issues being taken up at OKfest?

Greetings,

Stephen

On 12.03.2014, at 14:31, giselesc at usp.br wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Tom and Tim, thanks for inviting me. I really apreciate the two topics raised.
>
> Not sure if I can help in both discussions, but I would like to add one more perspective:
> - how gender and others important characteristics affect the dialogue between civic hackers/open data activists
> and social leaderships/grassroot movements ?
>
> We have been studying the adoption of a web tool for local budget public oversight (Caring for My Neighbourhood)
> in marginalized districts of Sao Paulo and we observed many challenges. To transform data into information and then
> into knowledge and then into action is crucial the relationship between these two groups. We saw
> that the access to internet/mobile, level of education, motivations, gender and others groups´ characteristics
> are very contrastant.
>
> Maybe my msg is a little bit off-topic (going beyond the gender discussion) and maybe you have debated
> such issues at lot. I thank if you can send me links for the previous discussions or documents.
>
> all the best,
>
> Gisele
>
> Profa. Dra. Gisele S. Craveiro
>
> Universidade de São Paulo
> Av. Arlindo Bétio, 1000
> +55 11 3091-8134/8829
>
> De: "Tim Davies" <tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk>
> Para: "Duncan Edwards" <D.Edwards at ids.ac.uk>
> Cc: "Everton Zanella Alvarenga" <tom at okfn.org.br>, open-development at lists.okfn.org, "Gisele da Silva Craveiro" <giselesc at usp.br>, "Michelle Brook" <michelle.brook at okfn.org>
> Enviadas: Quarta-feira, 12 de Março de 2014 10:00:33
> Assunto: Re: [open-development] OKFest session proposal: Perspectives on open knowledge: an open panel
>
> Hello Duncan, Tom (+ hi Gisele), & cc in Michelle Brook who I've also spoken with about OKFest sessions on diversity.
>
> I think there might indeed be two sessions here, one more theoretical, and one more practical.
>
> The session I was proposing was more at the theoretical end of the spectrum: asking what does the concept of open knowledge mean in different contexts. There is often a reductive tendency in some core Open Knowledge advocacy to refer to the open definition, or to some simple set of defining characteristics of knowledge as an artefact. Yet, as we discussed in the OKFest 2012 Open Development stream, there are many different visions of open knowledge, and different interests that draw people into an open knowledge space. I would love it if this session was able to pull out understandings of open knowledge both from different national and gender perspectives, as well as from different thematic strands of the open knowledge community: science, development, hardware etc.

> [...]

r0g_agency for open culture and critical transformation gGmbH

supermarkt studio 3
brunnenstrasse 69
13355 berlin

+49 170 5887806
r0g-media.org
tweet @intertwilight

#OSJUBA / #OSWARRAP / #OSBACK

'We choose to do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"
JFK, Rice University, 1961