[Open-education] Creative Commons 4.0 Licenses Launch!

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Thu Dec 5 09:12:50 UTC 2013

Cable sent this to the list but it keeps bouncing - so I am forwarding.

***

Greetings Open Education Colleagues:

Good news!

The CC 4.0 licenses are now live and available for use:
http://creativecommons.org/choose

4.0 Blog posts:

  * http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/40768
  * http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/40935

What's New in 4.0?

  * http://creativecommons.org/Version4

4.0 Policy Decisions and Versioning Notes:

  * http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Version_4

Evolution of the 4.0 license drafts:

  * http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/Drafts

/And for good measure:/ Best practices in CC Marking and providing
attribution:

  * http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Marking

[excerpt from the blog post]

  * "The 4.0 versioning process has been a truly collaborative effort
    between the brilliant and dedicated network of legal and public
    licensing experts
    <http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CC_Affiliate_Network> and the
    active, vocal open community
    <http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/#Process>. The 4.0 licenses,
    the public license development undertaking, and the Creative Commons
    organization are stronger because of the steadfast commitment of all
    participants."

The CC Education team will host webinars on what the 4.0 licenses mean
for open education. I will advertise webinar dates / times on these lists.

Many thanks to so many of you who contributed to the building of these
updated legal tools!  Together we can help teachers and learners around
the world share what they create, reuse others' educational resources
and data, and adjust learning spaces to increase access, reduce costs
and improve pedagogy.

Warmest regards,

Cable

PS - Thank you for sharing this news through your channels and with your
communities.

--

Cable Green, PhD
Director of Global Learning