[Open-education] Friday chat: Do open educational resources have to be available online?

Venkataraman Balaji vbalaji at col.org
Fri Jun 27 17:05:29 UTC 2014

I have not come across any definition of OER that makes "online" a necessary condition. There is a need to encourage OER producers to offer an offline version wherever feasible. Khan Academy is exemplary in this regard. At least two different groupings of Wikipedia (in English) are available for schools offline and I found that they are highly valued in schools in relatively remote locations (for example, in the islands of Fiji or in Vanuatu).

I have also noted a robust reluctance in the mainstream IT community (corporates as well as most academic researchers ) to work in anything offline because today's big profits in IT are available in Internet technologies. There is no reason why a MOOC cannot be partly offline. In fact, processes like examinations-for-certificates are increasingly "offlined" if they were to have value to future or current employers (an example: https://onlinecourses.nptel.ac.in/explorer   ). Similar to the examination, part of an online course can be delivered offline. Back in '90s, a lot of emailing in India used to be part offline: people composed email in a stand-alone computer and bicycled to an Internet café from where it was emailed and mail was also received. As recently as 2007, a small campus of an international Ag research center in Niger enabled staff to compose email on the LAN (Yes, there was a mail server, which was not connected to Internet). Twice daily someone carried a CD to the only city nearby to up/download messages. Users certainly thought that it was not a bad thing.

In my understanding, there is a hidden assumption that unless one has the level of IT infrastructure fairly comparable with what one obtains in a mid-level OECD country, many of the online processes would not be viable. This is not valid. It is also important to note that, in "emerging economies", Internet access from mobile devices is fast outstripping access from laptops and PC's- a fact reported in the famous Meeker's report (KPCB) on Internet Trends even in 2013.

Balaji