[Open-education] Minutes from yesterday's call

Atenas, Javiera j.atenas at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Oct 3 21:15:51 UTC 2014

Thanks for you mail! Is really reassuring to have such a positive message, hope we can support Creative Commons translation

All the best
Javiera

Sent from my iPhone

On 3 Oct 2014, at 19:55, "Billy Meinke" <billy.meinke at creativecommons.org<mailto:billy.meinke at creativecommons.org>> wrote:

Hi All-

I'm glad to hear that Javiera has brought up the idea of translating resources about CC into languages other than English, as it is something I've noticed throughout the CC Toolkits project. Many resources that can help inform/teach others about CC have been produced in a single language, and among other barriers (use of proprietary file formats, lack of sharing of the raw/editable files, lack of a license or marking that would allow for translation and sharing), there remains a bit work to be done. Some really great things have come out of the CC Affiliate Network, but remain in only one language.

For those who haven't seen, here is a link to the CC Toolkits project site (in beta) that I've been working with CC Affiliates to get off the ground. For now, only the Basics of CC toolkit is viewable, but we have more materials in the hopper, soon to be published to the site:

http://cctoolkits.com/

We've supported several working groups in developing toolkit materials that promoting the understanding and benefits of CC licenses in various contexts, and we've been extremely fortunate to have many of the working groups create the materials in two or more languages. Still, moving to translate the resources beyond what the original working groups were able to do hasn't been simple, and I've examined options that may help us accomplish this. For the translation/localization of CC legal documents and other formal text-based work, there has been ongoing success using Transifex. It's my opinion that this tool is overkill (too intensive of a process) for the translation of short-form text documents (which many CC-related resources are), and AFAIK Transifex is not suitable for the translation of other types of media such as those that include graphics (infographics, handouts) and videos. Many first-timers to "open" and to the idea of Creative Commons licenses are more easily reached through fun, engaging media of the latter types.

FWIW, I see a great deal of potential in using Git<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_(software)> (specifically on Github) and Markdown<http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#philosophy> for document translation and version control. IMHO, the simpler the tool and workflow the better. The last thing we should do is expect potential multilingual contributors to significantly increase their own technical skills to be able to assist with translations.

@Javiera: I've pinged you off-list, and we should check-in about the message(s) you've brought to the table at the last OK Open Edu WG call. I attempted to review the video, but the audio quality was too poor for me to understand what was being discussed. Feel free to chime in on this list, or follow up via email or Twitter DM.

@thewholelist: What tools and/or processes have worked for you WRT open, crowdsourced translation of media?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Best from Hawaii,

Billy