[Open-education] Friday Chat: Personal experiences of MOOCs

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Fri Sep 12 09:10:25 UTC 2014

So sort of a Friday chat thing...

I started Stanford's Open Knowledge MOOC last week (bit of an intro to
it from me here
<https://remoteworker.wordpress.com/2014/09/02/stanfords-open-knowledge-mooc/>).
Anyone else doing it? I'm hoping some interesting questions come out of
it providing I can apply myself to do the course. [For example I learned
yesterday that more people own a mobile device than a toothbrush -
important stuff!!] It's my second MOOC and I completed my first one
(ioe2012 <https://remoteworker.wordpress.com/category/ioe12/>), but I
had more spare time then...

Anyway, I was interested in people's personal experiences of MOOCs. Do
we practice what we preach? Or are MOOCs just something we deliver for
other people? How do you use MOOCs to support what you do? Have people
had positive experiences connecting with communities in MOOCs? What
about hybrid approaches - has anyone participated in a MOOC and at the
same time been involved in a physical community supporting it? Are there
people delivering MOOCs who fundamentally disagree with them as a form
of open education?

Also if you have a topic for discussion remember to shout it out or add
it to the etherpad
<https://pad.okfn.org/p/Open_Education_Working_Friday_Chats>.

Marieke

---