[Open-education] Friday Chat: Personal experiences of MOOCs

Prakash Neupane nprkshn at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 09:46:55 UTC 2014

Thanks for sharing .... love to hear, how people are feeling about MOOC

I completed my first course on 2011, while at beginning i enrolled 3
courses and only passed one course. It was my wonderful experience although
the course of my selection (AI) was also my college course. Sebastian Thrun
was my instructor and also the same person whose text book was following in
our university. So i must say it was very useful for my career. But as per
i know at that time there were more than 160,000 participants from 190
countries where only  23,000 students finally made it. Here i see from 2
point, first MOOC was not success coz only 15% people got successes and
second MOOC was success to provide Stanford education to 23000 students all
round the world.

Last i joined the hybrid model of Online Learning : Next Generation Leaders
Program from Internet Society which was more practical and sounds more
localized.

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Marieke Guy <marieke.guy at okfn.org> wrote:

>  So sort of a Friday chat thing...
>
> I started Stanford's Open Knowledge MOOC last week (bit of an intro to it
> from me here
> <https://remoteworker.wordpress.com/2014/09/02/stanfords-open-knowledge-mooc/>).
> Anyone else doing it? I'm hoping some interesting questions come out of it
> providing I can apply myself to do the course. [For example I learned
> yesterday that more people own a mobile device than a toothbrush -
> important stuff!!] It's my second MOOC and I completed my first one (
> ioe2012 <https://remoteworker.wordpress.com/category/ioe12/>), but I had
> more spare time then...
>
> Anyway, I was interested in people's personal experiences of MOOCs. Do we
> practice what we preach? Or are MOOCs just something we deliver for other
> people? How do you use MOOCs to support what you do? Have people had
> positive experiences connecting with communities in MOOCs? What about
> hybrid approaches - has anyone participated in a MOOC and at the same time
> been involved in a physical community supporting it? Are there people
> delivering MOOCs who fundamentally disagree with them as a form of open
> education?
>
> Also if you have a topic for discussion remember to shout it out or add
> it to the etherpad
> <https://pad.okfn.org/p/Open_Education_Working_Friday_Chats>.
>
> Marieke
>
> ---