[Open-education] Plans for Open Education Week #openeducationwk

Lorna Campbell lorna.m.campbell at icloud.com
Wed Feb 25 11:36:20 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

Apologies for the radio silence from my end.  I haven’t even managed to write a blog post since January! I haven’t completely fallen off the internet though, just tied up with project work.

I’m currently working on two projects, one is a Cetis consultancy for the University of Edinburgh exploring perceptions of open education practice and divers and barriers to encouraging greater institutional engagement with open education.  It’s as fascinating was you might expect!

The other project is the New Subject Coding Scheme project (http://www.hediip.ac.uk/subject_coding/ <http://www.hediip.ac.uk/subject_coding/>) which Cetis is undertaking on behalf of the Higher Education Data & Information Improvement Programme here in the UK. The aim of this project is to develop a new coding scheme to replace the current Joint Academic Coding Scheme.  I realise the connection to open education is rather tenuous here, but we are undertaking an open consultation on the draft coding scheme and its governance and adoption models.  If anyone is particularly interested in academic subject vocabularies, you can find out more information and comment on these developments here https://subjectcoding.wordpress.com/ <https://subjectcoding.wordpress.com/>

I'm also still involved with the Learning Resource Metadata Initiative (http://www.lrmi.net/ <http://www.lrmi.net/>).  Stewardship of  LRMi transferred to the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative towards the end of last year and a new Task Group (http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/AB-Comm/ed/LRMI/TG <http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/AB-Comm/ed/LRMI/TG>) has been established to take the continued development of the specification forward.  If you’re interested in open educational resource description please feel free to join the LRMI forum here https://groups.google.com/d/forum/lrmi <https://groups.google.com/d/forum/lrmi>

In terms of events, I’ll be attending the second Opening Education Practices in Scotland project forum (http://oepscotland.org/category/event/ <http://oepscotland.org/category/event/>) in Stirling on the 19th March where I’ll be talking about the Scottish Open Education Declaration (http://declaration.openscot.net/ <http://declaration.openscot.net/>).

I haven’t got anything specific lined up for Open Education Week this year, but I’ll certainly try and wrote a blog post at the very least!

All the best
Lorna

> On 25 Feb 2015, at 09:01, Marieke Guy <marieke.guy at okfn.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> It's been soooo quiet on the list!! What have you all been up to??!
>
> I've been pretty busy working on new projects (on Open Access and OpenGLAM) but hope to be doing more Open Education work soon. Oh and I did attend Open Data Camp UK last week - which was great - here's my blog post about open data and community engagement <http://blog.okfn.org/2015/02/24/open-data-camp-uk-bursting-out-of-the-open-data-bubble/>.
>
> The week after next is Open Education Week and it would be great to hear people's plans.
> http://www.openeducationweek.org/ <http://www.openeducationweek.org/>
>
> Has anyone got any events lined up - would anyone like to try something new? Is anyone working on anything they'd like to share? The blog and the list is here to support you.
>
> Be great to hear from people - even just to check you're all still there!!
>
> Marieke
>
> --
> Marieke Guy
> Project Coordinator | skype: mariekeguy | tel: 44 (0) 1285 885681 | @mariekeguy <http://twitter.com/mariekeguy>